Friday, May 31, 2013

Devastation

It's truly only because of how much I love MY SAVIOR that I am able to love others. My heart is so big and burdened for God's creation. I wish that I had "go-go gadget" arms and legs so I could be everywhere all the time to serve Him and to serve others in His name. When I hear of the tragic situations happening all over the world my heart and body wants nothing more than to go and volunteer wherever I may be needed to offer some relief to those who are affected. I simply can't up and go always or for that matter I can't go often times, but what I know that I can do without fail is pray. And I do. It's those times I find myself in deep intercession for others. This week, on Monday the 27th I was given one of the most humbling opportunities to help in an area that can't seem to catch a break from storms. This is an experience I am forever grateful for and was so blessed by. I, along with several others, were able to partner with IsraAid and simply be the hands and feet of Jesus. Chuck King, Our worship arts leader at our church is from the Oklahoma city area. He was born and raised there until he felt the Lord call Him, his wife, and their children to Jerusalem--yes, Israel, where they lived for 13 years. They moved to where we are now about 5 years ago but obviously made dear friends from all over during their journey across the world. Someone in Israel contacted him last week about a crew from IsraAid flying here to help in Moore so that's how my Monday began. 15 or so of us loaded up and made the 2 hour trip from Arkansas to Moore, met up with IsraAid and got to work. I have never seen such overwhelming devastation first-hand. IT.WAS.SO.OVERWHELMING. It was really too much to take in. I met 2 families that day who were so blessed and grateful that we would come from so far to help them. We were able to talk with them and they recounted the events of that day the GINORMOUS F-5 tornado leveled everything in it's path. I was blown away by how they had NOTHING left yet they had everything that mattered. They were safe and neither family suffered any kind of injuries. I am still trying to process everything I felt and am still feeling and learning from being there that day. It really puts things into perspective for me in my own life. The emotions I experienced came in waves. There were so many different times where I would be standing in the yard sifting through debris and rubble and the tears would just start to come, and honestly I didn't really have words to describe why I was so torn. It's such a strange feeling to be putting things in wheel-barrels that they worked so hard for. Bending over and picking up not just shingles, but actually giant pieces of roof, or picking up little trinkets that would be displayed on a shelf just shot through air like a missile landing many yards away is so unbelievable. And then the owner of one of the houses we were at literally had his home just demolished...we could stand in the back yard and see through his living room, front door, all the way across the street to the neighbors house. This particular man was the most genuine and sincere men I have met. He wasn't worried a single bit about his house or any of his possessions--he was only worried about finding an envelope with money in it for he was the head of a fundraiser and wanted that money to go to the rightful place. He will never know how much he taught me and blessed me that day. I could go on and on about the mini and many conversations I had that day with countless people, but I won't. I will only leave you with a few of the pictures from that amazing day. This is Me and my precious friend Brandy Chuck in the middle and our new Israeli friends.

No comments: